From the “No school fees, No Exam policy” which eventually cascaded into a full-blown protest-cum-destruction of school properties and then to the perceived witch-hunting, summons and interrogation of several persons suspected to have instigated the protest in one way or the other, the year 2022 came and left with its ups and downs and of course, the memorable moments of academic splendour and all that it is.
Just like I posited in the preceding edition of this publication last year, it must be stated in emphatic terms that I am arguably not the best qualified to gazette the top student personalities from the Faculty of Law in Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba-Akoko, being consciously aware of the replete talents, eminence and wide-ranging excellence exhibited by virtually every student in the said faculty.
Hence, permit me to put it as a foreword that in as much as I am open to a series of objective and subjective opinions regarding this publication, it must also be stated in profound terms that I have no iota of doubt in the credibility and unassailability of this publication, having chosen from the array of the most dignified personalities in the faculty. With the inclusion of a special category, listed herein are the top ten student personalities in the Faculty of Law, Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba, as far as the year 2022 is concerned:
𝗔𝗝𝗨𝗪𝗔 𝗣𝗥𝗘𝗬𝗘: A native of Arogbo in Ondo state, 𝗣𝗥𝗘𝗬𝗘, as casually known and addressed, is an ultimate student who is often touted and mentioned as one of the most brilliant students in the entire Faculty. In fact, the QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS– one of the best-selling legal texts in the Faculty, written by Dr. Akin Oluwadayisi bears a repeated acknowledgement and special mention of her name. Such an outstanding student. A former Treasurer of the Law Students’ Society (LSS), she served as the Assistant Chamber-Head and presently serves as Chamber-Head of Kayode Eso, a position she has formidably led the chamber to several victories in the Faculty Inter-Chamber competition. An International Law and Taxation enthusiast, she is also a writer, researcher, content creation among others. If you are seriously keen on obtaining the best academic result that there is in the Faculty of Law, 𝗣𝗥𝗘𝗬𝗘 is definitely a most worthy mentor.
𝗙𝗔𝗡𝗜𝗕𝗨𝗬𝗔𝗡 𝗔𝗬𝗢𝗠𝗜𝗗𝗘 -A native of Ilara-mokin, Ayomide– a passionate Red-Devil, reader, researcher and graphics design enthusiast– is a fresher who is currently finding his feat in writing. A top 9 finalist in a poetic competition organised by the Correct Connect Africa Foundation (CCAF), while also having one of his works prominently featured in citizenrapporteurs.com– a fast emerging news outlet. An active member of the National Association of Ilara-Mokin Students (NAIMS) and a member of the Akinola Aguda chamber, Ayomide is an emblem of humility and introvertedness who carries an unassuming character, sparklingly complimenting his affability and mild countenance. If I were to pick the newbie that should be looked out for in 2023, Ayomide bears the perfect mention. Indeed, the revelation of the 2020-2025 set.
Student personalities also deserving honourable mentions include but not limited to: the inimitably courteous Olusi Adedamilola (Olusi), Lord Denning-esque Adenegan David (Dee Best), the revered Seyifunmi A. Francis (Francophone), the conscientious Oluwafemi Adegbeyeni (Barryfem), the irrepressible Tunde Akingbondere (Barrytee), the classic Adenibuyan Damola (Lharryvee), the astute Fowowe Adetomiwa (GCFR), the politically-savvy Ogunkeye Ayobami (Groovy), the endearing Mercy Ujattah, the cosmopolitan Israel Akinola, the ever-responsive Mosa Gold Ajidagba, the intellectual Ogunfeyimi Adegboyega (G-Keyz), the honourable Akinola Joshua Adeyinka (Clinton), the trailblazing Oguntibeju Adewale (Hardey Yung), the esteemed Amina Sulaimon, the ambitious Amos Olumide A. (Alaafin), the innovative Akinfesoye Oluwaseyi (Seyi), the informed Joshua Idowu (Metaphysical), the unflappable Emmanuel Oluwaseun O. (Emmanuel SAN) the keen Adeyemi Kehinde (Joelmilk), the ebullient Akinsulure Semiloore, the cerebral David Timileyin, the focused Adewunmi Balikis (Balikis) and host of others who continue to serve as exemplars both within and outside the faculty.
(10) 𝗔𝗕𝗜𝗦𝗔𝗚𝗕𝗢𝗢𝗟𝗔 𝗢𝗟𝗔𝗠𝗜𝗦𝗜𝗠𝗕𝗢- The first thing that readily comes to my mind whenever I hear or call the bearer is the literal interpretation which I have even chosen ahead of the main indigenous name as it is. A native of Igbobini, the name “Olamisimbo” loosely translates to “My wealth comes forth”. She currently serves as the General Secretary of the Ese-Odo Local Government Students. Her hobbies include reading, dancing and spending time with family and friends. 𝗦𝗜𝗠𝗕𝗢, as fondly called, is an embodiment of beauty-cum-dignity, character, intelligence, and candor which will definitely leave you in complete awe of her endearing personality. If you are a fresher who is keen on having a mentor or perhaps, a female figure whom you can actually look up to -intellectually and personality wise- in the present LLB2, you can rest assured that 𝗦𝗜𝗠𝗕𝗢 will do well in any regard.
(9) 𝗔𝗚𝗨𝗗𝗔 𝗢𝗬𝗜𝗡𝗗𝗔𝗠𝗢𝗟𝗔 – A native of Akure in Ondo State, 𝗢𝗬𝗜𝗡 is a penultimate student. An erstwhile Vice-president of the Law Students’ Society during the 2019/2020 administration where she impacted tremendously via the organisation of consistent and impactful tutorial sessions, combined with a brainstorming LEST programme, spurred on by the provision of consumable incentives– the best of its kind since the inception of the scheme. Not yet fulfilled, she took a further step by organizing a well-befitting LSS Cultural Festival worth its salt and one that eventually lived up to its hype. A member of Lovework Organization and the current Vice-president of the ADCares Movement. If you are interested in learning a clue or two from a distinguished Vice-president emeritus of the society, who also boasts an unflappable aura in spite of whatever it is, 𝗢𝗬𝗜𝗡 can be a lucky charm for your target.
(8) 𝗢𝗠𝗢𝗡𝗜𝗬𝗜 𝗔𝗞𝗜𝗡𝗪𝗔𝗟𝗘𝗥𝗘 – In the understandable busyness of my mainstream mentor who currently serves as the President of the Society, 𝗡𝗘𝗬𝗢𝗥–as fondly called– is the person I often run to whenever I am in need of elucidation in regards to any course or topic. He currently serves as the Assistant General Secretary of the Students’ Union at Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba-Akoko. A don in the Legal Temple -a private chamber on campus- the erstwhile Secretary of the National Union of Ikale Students in AAUA, the erstwhile Clerk of the Students’ Representative Council. A native of Idepe, NEYOR boasts of a personality keenly interested in helping out junior colleagues as and when due, academically wise. An ND holder, NEYOR is also a staunch Kopite, researcher, a respectful person who innately commands respect across and beyond the Faculty. If I were to recommend a senior colleague who can confidently take you through the seeming inscrutable sands of the Law of Contract, 𝗡𝗘𝗬𝗢𝗥 is definitely one.
(7) 𝗔𝗗𝗘𝗝𝗨𝗧𝗘 𝗧𝗢𝗠𝗜𝗦𝗜𝗡 – A former undergraduate at the premier University of Ibadan, where he also served as the Class Rep of Philosophy prior to switching over to Law at Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba. A native of Ode Irele, Tom Tom is a Chelsea fan and a football enthusiast, having participated actively in a couple of football tournaments at the Faculty level, including the 2019/2020 and 2020/2021 LSS Sports Festival where in the former, he made integral contributions en route to the final where his class lost to the then 300 Level, courtesy of a solitary goal. Arguably the most popular Chief Liaison Officer in the entire Faculty, 𝗧𝗢𝗠 𝗧𝗢𝗠–as popularly known, is a proven symbol of who and what a conscious Class Rep should be. 𝗧𝗢𝗠 𝗧𝗢𝗠 is approachable, humble, unassuming, brilliant and has on various occasions, displayed an unflappable, sensitive and proactive character who does not shy away from responsibilities expected of him. If you are in need of credible info or statistics in regards to the present LLB2, 𝗧𝗢𝗠 𝗧𝗢𝗠 is the person you should seek for.
(6) 𝗢𝗟𝗨𝗪𝗢𝗟𝗘 𝗔𝗙𝗘𝗘𝗭 – The erstwhile National President of FOESU, former Speaker of the National Association of Ondo State Students (AAUA CHAPTER), erstwhile Public Relations Officer of the Law Students’ Society where he made vital contributions such as the allocation of unique titles to each lecture theatre in the LAW LT while also broadening the public image of the society by creating a website for the society. In his penultimate year, he served as the Deputy Speaker of the Faculty of Law, AAUA. Fondly called 𝗣𝗛𝗜𝗦𝗧𝗢𝗟𝗘𝗘 by lovers, friends and foes alike, he is the chief initiator of the online philanthropic movement tagged 𝗛𝗔𝗡𝗗 𝗧𝗢 𝗛𝗔𝗡𝗗 while also being a bonafide member of the oxymoronic clique -BROKE BILLIONAIRES- among others. An accomplished student politician who has contested 10 elective positions and mysteriously won ALL. Yes, you heard me right. All the 10 elections. He won it ALL. Immaculate. 𝗣𝗛𝗜𝗦𝗧𝗢𝗟𝗘𝗘 remain a political icon who exemplifies a canny, unassuming, humble and enviable personality across and beyond the Faculty. If you intend to cut your teeth in the wavering tides of student and mainstream politics, 𝗣𝗛𝗜𝗦𝗧𝗢𝗟𝗘𝗘 is definitely the perfect mentor you should seek to learn from. Indeed a potential colossus in our national mainstream politics. If anything at all, you should watch out for him.
(5) 𝗢𝗟𝗔𝗠𝗜𝗟𝗘𝗞𝗔𝗡 𝗢𝗟𝗔𝗗𝗘𝗟𝗘 – A native of Owo. 𝗟𝗘𝗞𝗨𝗦𝗘, as popularly known across the width and breadth of the Faculty, was the runner-up for the LSS 001 seat in the keenly contested faculty elections held on June 17, 2021. Often mentioned as arguably the best and most successful Sports Director in the history of the Law Students’ Society, Lekuse boasts of being a charismatic and passionate footballer, a Red Devil, sprint runner who has also represented the Faculty. He was also one of the key brains behind the creation of LSS SPORTING WORLD– the busiest WhatsApp football news platform in the entire society. Away from sports, 𝗟𝗘𝗞𝗨𝗦𝗘 is the chief initiator of LEADNOVATION -a strong political movement in the Faculty. If you are probably in need of a penultimate student to take you through the stormy tides of Intellectual Property (IP), 𝗟𝗘𝗞𝗨𝗦𝗘 is deserving of your attention.
(4) 𝗠𝗜𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗘𝗟 𝗔𝗗𝗘𝗧𝗨𝗟𝗔 – The proud winner of the 2021 edition of this publication. A native of Owo who strangely finds no affinity in sport, 𝗝𝗨𝗦𝗧𝗜𝗖𝗘–as fondly known and addressed across and beyond the faculty, served meritoriously as the immediate past President of the Faculty. A member of the LEGAL TEMPLE, a member of the LEGAL KEKENKE, a member of THE ORACLES, a former Clerk of the Law Students’ Representative Council, an erstwhile member of the Law Students’ Representative Council and the incumbent Public Relations Officer of the National Association of University Students (NAUS ONDO STATE). Notable among his achievements while he served as the President is the entire refurbishment of the LLB2 CLASS and the procurement of a projector for the faculty. If you are looking for an ultimate student who boasts a vibrant aura while also exhibiting an acute tendency who speaks less but is masterful at execution and assiduous at projection, 𝗝𝗨𝗦𝗧𝗜𝗖𝗘 is definitely the perfect fit.
(3) 𝗢𝗟𝗔𝗧𝗨𝗡𝗗𝗘 𝗢𝗟𝗔𝗬𝗜𝗡𝗞𝗔 – 𝗧𝗘𝗘𝗖𝗟𝗔𝗭𝗜𝗤, as popularly known and addressed, boasts of a humble personality and classic profile that is towering above the casual prototypes of your senior colleague. A native of Idanre in Ondo State, 𝗧𝗘𝗘𝗖𝗟𝗔𝗭𝗜𝗤– despite being a penultimate student– currently serves as the Lord Chancellor; a position reserved for an ultimate student, of the EQUITY CHAMBER– a private chamber on campus, he served as a Senator representing the Faculty of Law, erstwhile Clerk of the Body of Justice (BOJ), erstwhile Clerk of the Students’ Judicial Council (SJC). A Chelsea fan who ceremoniously holds the record of being the first and only coach to make a successive LSS football festival with two different teams– after the patriarch order of Thomas Tuchel. A distinguished writer with several publications of note and award-winning legal publications, He, along with Abdul Haqq represented Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba-Akoko at the ICRC 11th Annual International Humanitarian Law Competition, 2022 where they emerged as one of the Top 8 Universities to qualify from the memorial round that had over a hundred submissions. Taking a shot further, He, along with Dahunsi Honour led the Gani Fawehinmi Chamber to its first victory in five years during the 2022 Faculty of Law Inter-Chamber Moot Competition. If you are considering an extremely intelligent student worth his salt combined with literal dexterity and vast consciousness across the entire faculty, Teeclaziq is more than deservingly worthy of your preference.
(2) 𝗔𝗗𝗘𝗦𝗜𝗡𝗔 𝗠𝗔𝗬𝗢𝗪𝗔 – The incumbent President of the society needs no introduction, as he currently spearheads the everyday to day running of the Faculty. A native of Ikare-Akoko, 𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗠𝗔𝗬𝗢𝗥 𝗢𝗙 𝗟𝗦𝗦 (𝗧𝗠𝗢𝗟), as fondly called, is a football enthusiast and a model of intellectualism, charisma, comeliness and affability. Having represented the faculty both within and outside Ondo state, 𝗧𝗠𝗢𝗟 is at present a bonafide member of THE ORACLES, an erstwhile member of the Law Students’ Representative Council, an integral member of the Faculty football team, a Don in the LEGAL TEMPLE, a proficient orator and debater. Away from academics, 𝗧𝗠𝗢𝗟 is a Red Devil and an On-Air Personality (OAP). If you need to be schooled on the basic elements of having an awesome delivery as an elocutionist within the Faculty of Law, you can rest assured that 𝗧𝗠𝗢𝗟 will offer profound insights.
(1) 𝗔𝗕𝗗𝗨𝗟 𝗛𝗔𝗤𝗤 𝗕𝗨𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗜 – Recently recognized in a list of 20 Exceptional and Outstanding Law Students in Africa by the LAWVERSE MAGAZINE, 𝗛𝗔𝗬𝗕𝗘𝗘, as popularly known and across the width and breadth of the University campus, is the incumbent Vice-president of the Intellectual Property Law Club, AAUA, the pioneer President of the AAUA Literary and Debating Club – a platform engineered towards training and improving the art of public speaking and writing skill among students while also serving as the Chief Liaison Officer of the penultimate class. A LAWSAN stalwart honoured as an Officer of the Order of LAWSAN (OOL) in 2020 before being subsequently elevated to a Commander of the Order of LAWSAN (COL) in 2021. An erstwhile Public Relations Officer of the Law Students’ Society of Nigeria (LAWSAN), and a former member of the Body of Justice (BOJ). He presently serves as the Honourable Attorney General of the Faculty from where he spearheaded the victory of the Faculty in the EKSU Law Week Inter-University Moot and Mock Competition, 2021, the active participation in the Federation of International Women Lawyers Inter-University Moot and Mock Competition, 2021, South West Lawsan Debate and Moot Competition, 2022, International Humanitarian Law Moot Court Competition wherein the society won the Best Defence Memorial, A maiden participation and qualification for the Top 8 oral advocacy stage of International Law Moot Court Competition organised by the International Committee of the Red Cross, 2022, the National Data Protection Moot Court Competition organised by the Faculty of Law, UNILAG, Sylvah Ogwemoh SAN National Moot and Mock Competition organised by Ambrose Ali University, and the most towering of them all is the registration of the club for an all-expenses paid sponsorship provided by the International Bar Association for the International Criminal Court Moot Competition and as such, Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba-Akoko will be the first Nigerian University to appear physically at the Hague, Netherlands, for the ICC Moot competition in its 10 year history.
In addendum to this enviable profile, 𝗛𝗔𝗬𝗕𝗘𝗘 is a writer, elocutionist, strategist, an avid reader, a football enthusiast and a bastion of legal, historical and political consciousness. 𝗛𝗔𝗬𝗕𝗘𝗘 is an integral member of the Faculty team as well. If you are keenly interested in knowing a Law student who revels in citing law cases and constitutional provisions when and where necessary, 𝗛𝗔𝗬𝗕𝗘𝗘 is the impeccable choice. Thus, the most Outstanding Law Student in the entire Faculty of Law, Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba-Akoko, 2022.
2023 promises to be a better year and I look forward, with positive energy and grandstanding expectations, to seeing you all again and having a better year with you all. Cheers to greatness!
𝗢𝗸𝗶 𝗔𝗹-𝗛𝗮𝘀𝘀𝗮𝗻 𝗩𝗶𝗰𝘁𝗼𝗿, popularly known as 𝗔𝗠𝗕𝗜𝗗𝗘𝗫𝗧𝗥𝗢𝗨𝗦, is an undergraduate at the Faculty of Law, Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba. He can be reached via email@example.com
Editor’s note: This article was published with minimal editing to maintain the author’s intent.