On February 17, 2020, Obagunwa Oluwasegun Daniel also known as Supreme delivered his inaugural speech as the 18th democratically elected president of Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba-Akoko Students’ Union (AAUASU).
Below is the speech delivered by the incumbent president of the union.
BEING A SPEECH DELIVERED BY THE 18TH DEMOCRATICALLY ELECTED PRESIDENT OF THE MOST IDEOLOGICAL STUDENT’ UNION IN AFRICA, ADEKUNLE AJASIN UNIVERSITY, AKUNGBA AKOKO, ONDO STATE, COMR. OBAGUNWA OLUWASEGUN DANIEL (SUPREME) ON THE OCCASION OF THE ADEKUNLE AJASIN UNIVERSITY STUDENT’S UNION INAUGURATION ON THIS DAY 17TH FEBRUARY, 2020 AT THE OLUSEGUN OBASANJO MULTIPURPOSE HALL.
The Ag. Vice-Chancellor, Deputy Vice-Chancellor, Registrar, Bursar, University Librarian , Dean Student Affairs, Deans of all Faculties, All H. O. D’s present, My parents, Council of AAUA Past Presidents, NANS Zone D, NANS JCC, Ondo State Axis, Security Personnel, Gentlemen of the Press And of the Greatest Nigerian Student.
I am here today humbled by the task before us as a result of the victory at the just concluded Students’ Union election held on (date) grateful for the trust put on us and care of our true value as a union. I will love to start with a sincere and profound gratitude to the Creator of all creatures, the Almighty by whose mercies and might we are gathering here today. I will like to appreciate the Acting Vice-chancellor in the person of Prof Olugbenga Ige for his fatherly support in all ramifications, Registrar, Librarian, Bursar, Dean of student affairs, Dean of all faculties, Head of the departments, Fellow AAUAITES, all protocols duly observed.
We are here today, not for my victory but a celebration of AAUAites desire to equip the union which is the medium for emancipation and development of our university. For I have sworn before you and Almighty God today never to forget the struggle of our heroes past.
As the 18th democratically elected president, I wish to commend the efforts of all past Union leaders that have paddled the affairs of this great union successfully. You will agree with me that the union has gone through turbulent periods owning to vested interest but these leaders did their best in establishing and maintaining the Union we can be proud of.
The world is very different now. As a human, we are saddled with the responsibility to abolish all forms of injustices and to overcome all challenges confronting our noble union.
You will agree with me that without Students, there might be no lecturers and definitely no university management and with this, student must be treated right and their perspective must be adequately listened to by the management while formulation and implementation of the University policies since they are at the receiving ends of any policies made.
We want to categorically state that the leadership of Comr Sampraise has done wonderfully well in discharging his duties and ensuring that the academic calendar of the University remains attractive and accurate. But then, like Oliver Twists, we will continue to build on the good foundation laid by past leaders to ask for more in other to ensure that the students of AAUA will continue to be treated as kings and queens in their respective departments and Hostels. Our administration will engage the University management at all time in different ways. One will be to partner the University in areas we should work together to make AAUA not only the Best State University in Nigeria, but the Best University in Nigeria. Two in loco parentis in terms of providing adequate, effective, efficient and timely welfare services to the entire students. These will include:
1.Addition of more shuttle buses on campus to reduce waiting time in accessing various infrastructure and lecture halls on campus.
2. Construction of Bus stops from faculty of Social and Management Sciences to the new faculty of Arts which will help eradicate the indiscriminate stop over of the shuttle buses and also protect AAUAItes from the scorch sun of Akungba Akoko.
3. Upgrading of backend registration requests from letter writing to e-application which will reduce delays and invariably reduce errors.
4. Re-introduction of internet service across the campus to aid learning and research among students of AAUA.
5. Extension of power supply on campus. We understand the power supply challenges in the Nation, but we are asking that we have power supply from 4pm-6pm on Wednesday’s-Friday’s in addition to the normal daily supply.
6. State of the lecture halls, particularly the LT A and LT B, Law LT and other Tetfund buildings should be renovated to suite a 21st Century University, properly called.
7. A recent applauded development at the bursary in the payment of backend charges, Certificate fees etc needed to be improved upon, as the use of POS machine with just two bursary staff are not enough to accommodate the huge demands from students, which has caused majority of our student and alumni to queue up for hours at the Students Affair village. Our administration is recommending that the students be allowed to pay into the account and present the payment slip and sun shield be erected at the Students village.
8. Security of our student remains important, and we are asking that the state government lease with the University host Community to beef up security in Akungba Akoko.
We are inaugurated today but unfortunately we don’t have a secretariat to carry out our duties and functions as Students’ Union Leaders.
The state of our Students’ Union Building is very bad.
We really appreciate our amiable Vice-Chancellor for the visit to the Students Union building recently and we beseech the management to help us fasten the process of renovating the Building for us to be able to serve the Students.
As we won’t relent until we have achieved all these set goals with the vision of erecting a lasting foundation for effective Students’ Unionism in AAUA. Hence, we crave for the support of the University management and stakeholders in every aspect.
Let me use this medium to congratulate everyone who contested at the just concluded poll, we have come thus far, we can continue to come together no matter where our camps belongs to make our University the very best.
Together we can Make AAUASU our pride.
Long Live AAUA
Long Live ONDO STATE
Long Live NIGERIA
AAUA Insider is Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba’s new campus media publisher amplifying the stories of the students of Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba Akoko.