In the past ten years, residents of Akungba-Akoko, Ondo state have been experiencing various accident cases in the community, which till now is yet to have a lasting solution.
This piece will be focusing on the major accident cases that happened between 2020 and 2022 in the community where the Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba-Akoko is situated.
1. On the 6th of September, 2020, it was a black Sunday for the community residents as a trailer that lost control from Adefarati area and fell along Crisolo/Heaven’s Palace and Premiere Pierre axis collided with a lot of Buses, Cars and Motorcycles left many dead, AAUA AMEBO had reported.
2. A month after that, on October 31, 2020, another accident struck the community killing residents and leaving many injured. A verified Twitter user who is also a graduate of the University penned a piece calling the attention of the governor to it ().
3. On the 23rd of January, 2021, an accident, which is believed by many to be the ugliest to ever happen. The accident resulted in the death of the former students union president, Adesomoju Oluwatobi Samuel known as Sampraise; the first-ever female president of Business Administration, Ojini Oluwaseun known as Topmost and several other students.
4. On the 25th of April, 2021, exactly about two people were confirmed dead in an accident that evening in the community.
It was reported by Oloye Naija that, a bus conveying passengers hit a motorcycle and victims were been rushed to the hospital.
5. On the 14th of November, 2021, right in front of Holy Trinity Church, Akungba, this reporter reported another accident that happened and claimed the life of one person.
6. Two days after the #January23Memory 2022 remembrance to remember those whose lives were lost in the January 23rd, 2021 trailer accident, another case was recorded.
7. And on the 3rd of February, 2022, three different accident cases were said to have happened within a space of 24hrs. In one of these cases, a student who just resumed writing his examination was involved.
In January, FRSC had confirmed that the answer to the incessant road accident is with the government.
In a Twitter space hosted by Oluyemi Fashipe known as Yemi Fash, it was alleged that the current king of the community, Oba Isaac Sunday Adeyeye, Ajimo III; and a politician in the local government, Otunba Adefarati Adegboyega were behind the barricade illegal taxation to allow trailers ply the road.
Otunba Adefarati Adegboyega is said to be the son of the former Ondo state governor, Chief Adebayo Adefarati.
Meanwhile, reports received confirms that the dualisation of the road has been included in the 2022 budget of the state while the students have chosen to close down the road on the 4th of January, till measures are put in place to curb the accident cases.
Olufemi Damilola is a versatile, cerebral and eloquent media personnel who has won several media awards and finds interest in service to humanity through writing.